Please select the type of membership:
- Connecting with the business community and identifying opportunities for employment;
- Encouraging people to control their own lives through personal choices about relationships, jobs, living arrangements, spirituality, travelling and recreational activities;
- Enabling them to give back to their communities through volunteering and helping others; and
- Supporting them in their rights to live happily, fully and meaningfully like any other Canadian.
We need your membership. Together we’re stronger. The more members subscribe to our philosophy, the more our credibility increases, resulting in more influence to shift attitudes that still prevail about the full inclusion of people with disabilities in our society. Please join us in numbers.
Through your membership, not only do you demonstrate that you care about the full inclusion of people with disabilities in our community, you also receive voting rights to Semiahmoo House Society’s Annual General Meeting. The annual term or your membership is from April 1 to March 31.
Membership fees are only $15 for an individual, $25 for a family, or $50 for an organization. To apply, please click on the previous links depending on the membership category that you wish or download this printable form.
Becoming or remaining a member confirms your ownership in your Society and evidences your commitment to the community living movement. Please apply for or renew your membership today and tell your friends!
Conditions of MembershipEligibility for Individual Membership:
- Must be 16 years of age or older
- Must be interested in advancing the purposes and supporting the activities of the Society
- Must NOT be an employee of the Society
- Must NOT be a contractor for services to the Society where the contract has an annual aggregate value of $10,000 or more
- Must NOT be a spouse of an employee or a contractor
Eligibility for Family Membership:
- A family member must be 18 years of age or older
- No person in the family must be an employee of the Society
- No person in the family must be a contractor for services to the Society where the contract has an annual aggregate value of $10,000 or more
- No person in the family must be the spouse of an employee or a contractor
- A family must be interested in advancing the purposes and supporting the activities of the Society
- A family must name a designate to represent the family; the designate may be changed by providing notice in writing to the Society
Eligibility for Affiliate Membership:
- An affiliate means an organization that is either an association, a corporation, a partnership or a society
- An affiliate must be interested in advancing the purposes and supporting the activities of the Society
- An affiliate must name a designate to represent the organization; the designate may be changed by providing notice in writing to the Society
Application for Membership:
- Membership applications are reviewed to ascertain the appropriate classification according to the bylaws
- The Board has the right to refuse or postpone an application for membership for any reason which, in the Board’s view, is necessary or prudent to protect the reputation and integrity of the Society. An applicant whose application for membership is refused is entitled to a refund of fees paid on application
- Membership is not transferrable
Term of Membership:
- Once approved, membership is valid for approximately one year, starting at the conclusion of the annual general meeting to the conclusion of the next annual general meeting
- Membership ceases 31 days from the conclusion of the current year, unless the member has renewed it
- The Board reserves the right to revoke a membership in the event a member:
o does not comply with the bylaws and policies of the Society
o does not abide by code of conducts and ethics adopted by the Society
o does not further and hinders the purposes, aims and objects of the Society
o is likely to endanger the reputation or hinder the interests of the Society
Rights of Membership:
- To receive notice of and attend general meetings
- To make or second motions at general meetings and to speak in debate on motions under consideration
- To serve on committees of Society, as invited
- To exercise a vote on matters for determination at general meetings
- To nominate a person for election as a Director of the Society
- To be nominated if eligible to stand for election as a Director of the Society
- To participate in the programs and initiatives of the Society in accordance with criteria as determined by the Board
In the event of a discrepancy between the conditions of membership listed above or the Society’s Bylaws, the Society’s Bylaws shall prevail.
Please direct any questions to Louise Tremblay, Director of Development at email@example.com.